Friday 1 January 2010

Welcome to Caprese Michelangelo

Caprese is a small village in the east of Tuscany in the province of Arezzo which I stumbled across a few years ago, while viewing properties in Umbria. I fell instantly in love with the small community as well as the property I was taken to see there, which now almost four years later is my home. There are about 1,700 'capresani' who are spread out through the wide collection of hamlets which make up the village. Perhaps her greatest son was, however, Michelangelo Buonarotti (yes, the Michelangelo) who was born here on 6 March 1475 and baptised in the tiny church of San Giovanni Battista. It was many years later that the comune officially adopted his first name as the village's surname which is now proudly called Caprese Michelangelo.

I decided to start this blog to record my experiences here in Tuscany as well as to share them with my friends, family and other interested parties. So, welcome or Benvenuti a Caprese Michelangelo!

No comments: